Homophobia and Internalized HomophobiaJanuary 15, 2019
What No One Will Share With You About Coming OutJanuary 15, 2019
LGBTQ Relationship Counselling
LGBTQ COUPLES COUNSELLING
SAFE PLACE THERAPY IS HERE TO HELP. BELOW IS A LINK TO OUR GENERAL RELATIONSHIP COUNSELLING PAGE. WHILE GAY AND STRAIGHT COUPLES OFTEN FACE SIMILAR CHALLENGES, THERE ARE SOME CONCERNS THAT REQUIRE MORE SPECIFIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE COMMUNITY AND ISSUES WE FACE. PLEASE READ THESE BELOW
- Difficulties with homophobia externally and also internally in the relationship.
- Issues with 'roles' in the relationship as gay couples find it hard to move away from heteronormative ways of being together.
- Sexual activity inside and outside the relationship.
- Internalised homophobia for one or both partners making it hard to connect.
- Specific emotional connection issues.
- Domestic violence or other control issues.
- Mental Health Issues are more common within the LGBTQI community for many reasons and these issue often comes up in relationship counselling. This can often be compounded by drug and alcohol use.
Gay relationship counselling or LGBT couples counselling needs to focus on your experience and these are only examples of common issues that often arise.
Gay relationship counselling or LGBTQ relationship counselling is all about understanding your experience and working with you and your partner in the moment. No two couples are the same but there are some general themes of issues that do come up which we have named above. BUT we want to know what is going on with you and your partner and what has lead you to reach out for support. Our team is very experienced in working with the LGBTQ community, Stuart is an openly gay professional who has worked in LGBTQ mental health for a number of years. Please take the time to read through some relevant blogs or if you are ready make a time with us or call to talk through your situation.
Here are some blogs that might be helpful
Ready to reach out ?
Call us on 0411 791 089
or book a time online using the relevant buttons below.
Appointments cost $130 per session. This is well below many other services who charge $160 or more. Safe Place Therapy does offer a lower cost rate for clients needing this. Click on the low cost button for further information. Please contact us directly if you have any questions.
Medicare rebates can be claimed for counselling with Prue Gilligan or Stuart Cheverton. This needs to be arranged through your local GP and get a referral to our service. If you would like further information please contact us.
Our Footscray and Mill Park office are very easy to get to. The Footscray office is a quick drive from Yarraville, Newport and Williamstown.
The Mill Park office is close to Epping, Thomastown and South Morang.